Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Favorite Things

First of all, sorry about the lag between posts. As you know, most of my previous posts deal with broad issues affecting EMS or the healthcare system in general. I will now be changing that theme into something slightly more fun and gadget-oriented- namely, the toys and tools we take with us on the Band-Aid Box.

Many of us who get into EMS bring with us a love of gadgetry. I won't speak for everyone, because some folks are very sober and serious and don't get particularly jazzed about cool-looking uniforms, high-visibility ambulances, digital radios or the latest and greatest tools and analytics on their rig. I would like to say that none of this affects me; that the trappings of EMS are insignificant details in my broader love affair with the service.

But for multiple reasons. I like gizmos and gadgets. Not to the extent that I haul useless crap with me into a call, but I like finding things which aren't standard issue but enhance my ability to do my job. (I will state up front that none of these manufacturers are paying me, giving me free product samples, or giving me Disney On Ice tickets to say this stuff.) A couple of examples:

1) Ringers extrication gloves. Nobody hands you these when you graduate from EMT school, but when you have to root around the scene of a motor vehicle collision or a technical rescue, nothing beats them. They're reflective and cut-resistant, great around glass or metal shards. Only downside is that they're not too great around bloodborne pathogens, so you can't go wrong wearing a pair of exam gloves underneath them.

2) Sears LED safety goggles. The girl in my life thinks these are literally the lamest thing ever created, but they've been helpful on more than one occasion. They could be better with a more comfortable nose bridge, but especially at night or in close quarters, their surprisingly-bright LEDs have been pretty helpful.

3) Blackhawk rigger's belt. For some reason, these are really popular around my station. They're bulky black nylon belts with an additional D-ring connection, implying that in the event of an emergency or a harness failure, you could use them to rappel to safety. I have no idea whether this is true or not, and honestly it doesn't matter. They look really cool, and they're great at holding up heavy items on your belt.

And since I'm in the mood to make lists, here are the three crucial trappings of EMS that I'd dearly love to import here into the United States:

1) London Air Ambulance-style flight suits. Too many EMS providers die on the side of highways every year, victims of collisions that could have been prevented, in some cases, by earlier detection thanks to reflective clothing. Everyone at my firehouse will tell you that if I get picked off the side of the highway someday, it won't be due to my lack of shiny shit. I think that breathable, durable, visible and comfortable jumpsuits like these would be a real improvement over some of the current EMS uniforms currently in wide usage (white collared shirts, anyone?) This'd go for both air and ground crews.

2) More use of light-rescue and EMS-specific helmets. Pacific Rescue makes some really good helmets like the A7A and the R7H which (despite some of the ugly color schemes pictured) that would be useful on a lot of our regular MVA or light-duty operations. I'm not a supporter of PPE for PPE's sake, but the more visible and protected we are, the more prepared we are. Also, I'm completely in love with the F8X, but until they sign a contract with Scott or Drager I won't hold my breath. (Sorry about the pun.)

3) More use of checker-pattern ambulances. Yes, I think that the British high-visibility ambulances are slightly ugly, but they're more standardized and more recognizable. NFPA requires new or rehabbed apparatus to incorporate some high-viz striping, but we tend to resent it and try to get around it. To be fair, some American ambulances have embraced this, but mostly just in the concept phase.

Anyway, those are my equipment preferences and my list of EMS 'druthers for the future. What do you think? What gear is indispensable for you? What changes in equipment, apparatus or apparel would you like to see? Looking forward to your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. A personal jet-pack for quick getaways when bystanders get unruly, or the patient projectile vomits in your direction or the ugly ER nurse tries to ask you out on a date.

    ReplyDelete